17 June 2009

Got That Out of My System!

So the last post was a little on the negative side. C'est la vie.

My situation hasn't improved a great deal, just my outlook. This is typical. I did have a meltdown a couple of days ago and I think I managed to cry most of it out over a few beers.

Anyhow, the show must go on as they say. I've been trying to make more proactive moves. Monday I called the number that EI gave me for Social Services. They told me that I need to go to a Service Canada/Alberta location and talk to someone. Okay. I kind of planned to do that anyway but at least I have some direction and know that's the place to ask to be enrolled in Social Services while I'm seeking employment. They likely have some resources for starting a business and such, too. My plan is to go tomorrow en route to an appointment with my doctor.

Today I did part of a mystery shopping job. It felt good to get out and do something a bit different. I learned a lot and technically am getting paid $20 for an hour's work. Not t0o shabby. Part two will be done in the morning. Busy day tomorrow!

Good to know I can bounce back reasonably quickly. It always feels like some kind of living hell in the midst of it all. Time slows down and everything seems impossible.

Some main contributors to the renewed optimism have been books. I'm currently reading four non-fiction books. One is more of a graze at best, but that's sort of the purpose of it. It's called "10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget." Look it up in my Amazon sidebar. It's got a lot of useful tips and handy references. I read it through with a notebook ready to jot down useful tidbits. I also got the newest edition of the Canadian Press Stylebook (since mine is over a decade old and a LOT has happened since then). I'm also looking forward to starting on a book about selling freelance articles to magazines. That's how I hope to make my living.

Last week, I went to the doctor and the hospital foundation was having a huge used book sale in the lobby. I was running late, so I checked it out after my appointment. It was meant to happen that way because they were trying to wrap it up. There were lots of books left and they didn't really want to have to pack them all up so they said, "fill a bag for $1." They were handing out plastic shopping bags but I opted to use my reusable one. I filled it with at least ten books. I got some great ones both fiction and non. I got a Robertson Davies novel, a couple of Stephen King ones I haven't read yet. The biggest score was a medical reference book. It's from the 50's and had newspaper clippings that the previous owner had tucked inside the pages. I love that sort of thing!

On Friday, I decided I needed to get out of my place and take a walk. So I grabbed my camera and wandered around downtown seeking arty things or angles or whatever to take pictures of. It turned out great! I managed to use up the battery completely just as I was arriving back home. I love photography. I like the contrast between writing and photography. Writing is painting pictures with words and photography is telling a story with pictures. In both cases, I seem to have a knack for seeing things in a different way than most which makes for an interesting end result.

Things may not be the greatest right now but I'm still here so there must be something I can do. I've been applying online to every job that seems remotely interesting but haven't heard back from any.

Oh, on my walking and photo taking adventure, I stopped and chatted with an odd, slim man walking a fat dog. I must be approachable because this happens a lot. What I mean is that people come up to me and just start chatting. I don't mind at all. In fact I find it rather fascinating a lot of the time. I also find it amusing that I am rarely asked for money - it must look like I don't have much. But I think the main thing is that I treat people as people regardless of their appearance or circumstance. Everyone has a story. I actually care enough to stop and listen. Sometimes I even wonder what the universe is trying to tell me. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with writing. I've been recently considering hanging out with some of the homeless folks in my area just to see what got them there, how they get through the day, that sort of thing.

My latest internet browsing addiction is "life hackers." Fascinating stuff. I'm talking the likes of Tim Ferriss. If you haven't read "The Four-Hour Work Week" I strongly suggest you do. It's a remarkable book that will allow you to flip your perspective and see things differently. He's working on an updated version. Cool guy. There are many others as well. Too many to list but you can find me on Stumble Upon (kerrilw) and find the links there.

The whole plan of living in an RV is based on the concept of being "location free." I can write, take photos, blog, take video etc. from anywhere in the world with my laptop and an internet connection. I also want to incorporate environmental responsibility by living off grid using solar power and solar heated water. Instead of toilet chemicals I've been seeking other options such as enviro-lets or even cheaper alternatives.

I guess there really is a lot of life left in this gal. I just get really frustrated on occasion when things don't seem to be going as planned or as smoothly as I'd like. There is so much I want to accomplish and one of these days I'll figure out how.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you.

    I love the refreshing genuine honesty in your writting. It resonates well with anyone that thinks similar thoughts. It inspires with the journey intent and shows the simplicity that life should be - Good luck...stay vital!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete