22 April 2009

In the Beginning...

This is the first of what I hope will be many posts about my personal RV adventures. As of right now I am unemployed, I will be dropping out of college tomorrow, and I do not yet have an RV.

Here's the plan:

- Sell all the excess "stuff" I've accumulated through the years.
- Apply for grants that are available to writers, find people who want to advertise on my site, build my own actual website, perhaps sell some articles to magazines all in an effort to raise enough money for the next point...
- Buy a used RV in June. I've been doing a lot of online research but still need to go in person and check some out. I've decided that I want a Class C model, preferably diesel, not too short - I like the idea of having a bedroom in the back with a queen sized bed and some storage space, one designed for four-season travel, it would be a bonus if I could find one that already has solar power.
- I plan to give my notice so I can move out of my shitty apartment by the end of May.
- I'm researching business cell phone and possibly internet plans. 
- I don't have a destination in mind at this point. I think I want to stay within the province of Alberta as long as I feel like it - until I've seen all I can. I have applied to be an ambassador of the province.

My goals along the way...

- A sort of working vacation of sorts.
- Learning to live with less "stuff" and reducing unnecessary shopping and clutter.
- To seriously think about the purchases I do make in terms of need, source, waste.
- To live as "green" as possible - solar power, solar heated water, recycling, not using toxic toilet chemicals, solar oven, whatever else I can think of.
- Eating consciously - buying from local sources like farms, u-pick lots, farmers' markets, independent cafes and coffee shops, also minimizing waste (and waist) by not buying packaged foods whenever possible. 
- Health is an absolute priority - beyond food as mentioned above, I plan to keep fit by running, possibly buying a foldable bike that I could bring along, maybe checking out local yoga classes or fitness facilities if they'll let me for free. :) 
- Meet and talk to people along the way. Get a feel for what's going on. 
- Discover neat towns with funny names, neat landmarks, interesting festivals, etc. 

How will I support myself? 

- Writing - keeping up this blog and hopefully also a website and possibly gaining some ad revenue from it (or an angel investor? or donations?)
- Writing - submitting articles to various magazines and newspapers
- Writing - books - maybe a guide to RV living in Alberta, whatever experiences I have are sure to make for good writing, there are also some books I've got going already that I just need motivation to finish up. :)
- Aside from writing? Well, I'll be shopping smarter which should save on the need to spend. Still, I'll have to put gas in the tank somehow. If necessary, I'll do odd jobs as I go along. Someone actually has coined the term Workamping. 
- Contesting - may be slightly more difficult without a "home address" but I'm sure I could get a post office box.
- I've contemplated selling advertising space on the RV. Just a thought.
- Work for payment in kind - like help out for a free meal or something.


Obviously I'm not doing this in order to get rich. If I happen to sell some books or whatever, that would be a pleasant side effect. Primarily, I'm at a point in my life where I really need to shake things up. I've never lived outside of the city I'm in now. I just want to transform my dreams into reality. I'm looking for my niche in the world. Staying where I am only makes me miserable. Why not do exactly what I want with my life? If I don't start now, it may be too late!

1 comment:

  1. Wow this sounds like an exciting adventure! It won't be easy but a lifetime experience and if it's something you've dreamt of doing then you should go for it :-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete